Caraway Essential Oil
- Product Code: EO-C05
- Availability: In Stock
- Ex Tax: £2.45
Caraway is a bi-annual herb that originated from Asia Minor, but is now cultivated in Northern Europe, Africa and Russia. It grows up to 60cm (2 feet) and has soft fern-like leaves, umbels of white/pink flowers and small brown fruit. Also known as Meadow Cumin, it is a very old, well known spice, used as far back as the Stone Age. The Egyptians used it as food flavouring, the Romans in bread-making and in the Middle Ages the Germans and Austrians also used it in their cooking. Traditionally this herb is associated with sharp eyesight and sweet breath. This natural oil has also historically been used to calm and soothe digestive problems and stress related conditions.
In modern aromatherapy Caraway essential oil is still used to settle the digestive system. It has an affinity with the female system - helping to regulate, soothe and comfort, and is also effective at fighting skin and scalp conditions.
- Species: Carum carvi
- Plant family: Apiaceae
- Origin: France
- Note: Middle to top
- Extraction method: Steam distilled
Avoid during pregnancy. May cause dermal irritation in concentration. Mucous membrane irritant.
Caraway essential oil has antiseptic, anti-fungal properties. Can help soothe irritated and unsettled skin and scalp
This oil's calming, soothing effect on the nerves can help lift the spirits and engender a positive, more determined state of mind. Also said to be good for anger.
Caraway essential oil settles a nervous tummy and improves digestion and intestinal flow. Helps stimulate the immune system and supports respiratory problems such as coughs, colds, cattarh, bronchitis and laryngitis. It can also assist with urinary problems and painful periods.
Blends well with:
Geranium, Orange Sweet and Ho Leaf
Soothing irritated skin
- Face Mask: Mix 2 teaspoons Ultra Fine French Green Clay to 1 teaspoon Aloe Vera Gel, or to your desired consistency, and add 1 drop of Caraway Oil. Apply to the face and neck for 10 minutes before removing with a cloth and warm water, then tone and moisturise with a light lotion.
- Soothing Skin Blend: Mix 2 drops Caraway, 2 drops Lavender and 2 drops Chamomile into 15ml Aloe Vera Gel and apply to an area of the skin that needs soothing!
Calming and soothing the mind
- Diffuse: If you are feeling in need of some relaxation and de-stressing, Caraway will help soothe your mind. Mix 2 drops Caraway, 2 drops Sweet Orange and 2 drops Bergamot and diffuse for up to half an hour at a time.
- Bath: Feeling stressed? Enjoy a calming bath with 2 drops Chamomile, 2 drops Caraway and 2 drops Geranium mixed in half a cup of full fat milk, poured into the warm, running water. Shut doors and windows, lie back, inhale the aroma and allow yourself some time to decompress!
- Diffuse: if you want a bit of a positivity boost, try diffusing a beautiful blend of 3 drops Lemon, 2 drops Caraway and 2 drops Ho Leaf to lift your mood throughout the day.
- Massage: Caraway is an excellent digestive and stomachic oil, settling those nervous tummies and reminding the body of its natural flow. Mix 3 drops Mandarin, 2 drops Caraway and 1 drop Ginger with 15ml Grapeseed oil and apply to the body in a direction towards the heart. Or massage into the tummy in clockwise direction.
- Massage: Caraway is a great oil for supporting all things menstruation. Mix 3 drops Geranium, 2 drops Caraway and 1 drop Lavender with 15ml Grapeseed oil, and apply gently to the abdomen in a clockwise direction.