Copaiba Balsam Essential Oil
- Product Code: EO-C13
- Availability: In Stock
Copaiba Balsam essential oil is renowned for its excellent anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving properties. It is also good for respiratory problems, digestive problems, skin conditions, preventing infection and boosting immunity.
- Ex Tax: £2.92
Copaiba trees are found mainly in tropical South America. They reach 15-30 metres in height, branching out only at the top, and producing leathery leaves, small white flowers and fruit pods containing 2-4 seeds. The trees produce a sticky substance called oleoresin. This is harvested by tapping or drilling holes into the tree trunk. The resin that is collected is then steam distilled to extract Copaiba essential oil. A single tree can produce approximately 40 litres of essential oil per year, offering a sustainable rainforest resource that can be harvested without harming the tree or its environment.
Although Copaiba Balsam essential oil is relatively new to aromatherapy the resin has been widely used in South America for hundreds of years. It has traditionally been used for wound healing, skin disorders, pain relief, cooling inflammation, insect bites, sore throats, respiratory problems, urinary tract problems, digestive problems, stomach ulcers and even cancer. It was bought to Europe by the Jesuits in the 1600's and was called Jesuit's Balsam. It has been used medicinally ever since for its diuretic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, expectorant, disinfectant, and stimulant properties.
Copaiba essential oil has a woody, sweet, and balsamic aroma with vanilla undertones. It contains the highest levels of beta caryophyllene (55%) found in any known essential oil. This gives Copaiba its strong anti-inflammatory effects. The oil has many other impressive health benefits for body, mind and skin.
- Botanical name: Copaifera reticulata
- Plant family: Fabaceae
- Origin: Brazil
- Note: Base
- Extraction method: Steam distilled
|Safety Note:|| |
Copaiba Balsam essential oil is excellent for promoting healthy skin. It has antiseptic, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, cicatrisant and emollient properties. It is excellent for dry skin, skin disorders, insect bites, healing wounds and reducing scars. It also has an astringent effect that can help to tighten the skin, reduce wrinkles and balance excess oil.
Copaiba oil can help to relieve stress, tension and anxiety. It can help to lift and balance the mood and can also be used during yoga and meditation to inspire peace and calm and centre the mind.
Copaiba Balsam is excellent for reducing pain and inflammation throughout the body. It can be helpful for muscular and joint pain, cramps, headaches and conditions such as arthritis, fibromyalgia, gout, and sciatica. Its analgesic effect is reputed to be even stronger than Wintergreen essential oil. Copaiba is also used for respiratory problems, boosting immunity, preventing infection (including urinary infections), balancing hormones, reducing high blood pressure, easing digestive problems and relieving water retention.
|Blends well with:|| |
Cedarwood, Sweet Orange, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Jasmine, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Black Pepper and Plai.
Aromatherapy blends using Copaiba essential oil:
- To help relieve muscular aches and pains, arthritis and joint pain, use Copaiba as an anti-inflammatory analgesic. Try making a massage blend with 12ml Grapeseed Oil, 2 drops Copaiba, 2 Black Pepper and 2 Plai. Massage into the body in an upwards direction towards the heart.
- For reducing wrinkles, or to help balance oily skin, try adding 1 drop of Copaiba to 5ml of your own facial products – or mix it with one of Base Formula’s cream or lotion bases – and apply daily.
- Facial massage for oily skin blend 1 drop of Lemon, 4 drops of Lavender and 2 drops of Copaiba in 28ml of Hazelnut oil and apply to the affected areas before going to bed.
- For acne pop 2 drops of Copaiba oil onto a cotton bud and apply directly to the active acne once a day. The redness and inflammation associated with this skin condition should be greatly reduced after a short period of time.
- To reduce stretch marks blend 5 drops of Copaiba essential oil in 10 ml of Olive oil and apply to the affected area once a day. Improvement should be noted after one month.
- Copaiba is also great for healing wounds – try it with Vitamin E oil.
- The oil is great for de-stressing and relieving anxiety. Try diffusing 3-5 drops each of Copaiba, Clary Sage and Bergamot at any time of day! This makes a great Solar Plexus blend.
- Copaiba is also a great digestive-aid. Try a massage blend with 2 drops Copaiba, 2 drops Bergamot and 2 drops Mandarin in 12ml Grapeseed Oil and slowly and gently massage clockwise into your abdomen.
- Suffering with a cold? Copaiba is a lovely respiratory de-congestant, and also relieves headaches, as well as boosting immunity. Try popping a mixture of 2 drops of each Copaiba, Ravensara and Sweet Orange into a bowl of boiling hot water, lean over the bowl, pop a towel over your head, close your eyes and inhale the steam for up to 2 minutes at a time.
- Or make a chest rub by blending 1 drop of Tea Tree, 4 drops of Rosemary and 2 drops of Copaiba in 14ml of Moisturising Lotion and apply to the chest and back twice a day.
- To balance hormones or simply aid night-time relaxation try Copaiba with Jasmine – or Rose – and Ylang Ylang - add 2 drops of each to 15ml of Bath Oil or Bath and Shower Gel – then add to your bath for relaxing, sumptuous soak!