Use essential oils to protect your home
When writing about aromatherapy, one of the biggest challenges is getting across the incredibly versatile nature and the myriad of uses for essential oils. Not only are we trying to impart a truer understanding of the extraordinary therapeutic effects of each essential oil, but also the variety of different ways in which these uses can benefit so many aspects of our everyday lives.
Aromatherapy essential oils are so special and versatile, due to their naturally chemically complex nature, and the fact that they are the distilled essence - a concentrated version of each plant, flower or tree that they originate from. In their natural form, the therapeutic elements work so powerfully together.
Many modern medicines are synthesised versions of what is available from plants. They don't contain any energy or life force, and without the complete balance present in the plant, side-effects can arise. In pure essential oils, you have a 'power-pack' of the full range of their medicinal and mood enhancing properties, without adulteration or synthetic alteration. Essential oils therefore give you an “essential” opportunity to use nature to enhance our therapeutic options. They are antiseptic, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, analgesic, sedative, antidepressant, relaxant, they are useful for our skin, our hair, our daily ablutions. They can be used in base skin creams, lotions, bath and shower gels, massage oils, anti-inflammatory gels, inhalations, compresses and in so many other ways. They are powerful mood enhancers, and so they can help us with so many aspects of our emotional well being. They can help us relax, unwind and lift our spirits. They present us with almost limitless ways to give ourselves a boost, as well as being effective tools in any preventative healthcare strategies.
Using essential oils for cleaning and freshening our home
One of the areas that the use of essential oils is possibly neglected, is the way in which they can help us create a safer home environment. Many of us are now aware that in the twenty first century, we are in danger from too much contact with too many chemicals. We have chemical additives in much of our refined foods, chemical residues in much of our water, and particulate pollution in the air that we breath. It is therefore really important that we create the cleanest home environment possible, so we reduce what we come into contact with whenever possible.
Yet modern man is assailed by those adverts. In order to “be clean” – both your body and your home “must have” this product, that spray, this deodorant, that cream. They are all “safe and effective” and you simply can't do without any of them, if all this hard selling is to be believed. However, no-one company is ever going to test the safety of the chemical cocktail that each of us is absorbing into our body, or breathing in, on a daily basis.
By using Base Formula products, you can at least begin to make positive and safer choices as to what you put ON your body. But it is also important to remember that you can use your essential oils to help you keep your home clean and fresh without the use of synthetic chemicals.
Think about it. A plug-in air freshener, an aerosol bathroom spray, a spray or cream to clean the bath and basin, a loo cleaner - another two or three different cleaners for the kitchen, the spray for the carpets, curtains, dog bed, the fabric softener and washing detergent, and so it goes on and on. Apart from the cost, the chemical cocktail of residues will be clouding your home. It's no wonder more and more of our children are suffering from allergies!
However, with aromatherapy you never need to buy a synthetic air freshener again! You can customise your own fragrances for each room by choosing different essential oils. You can make up your own antiseptic spray for your kitchen surfaces, and a cream cleaner for your bath and basin. You can suddenly find your shopping list reducing in length and cost, as you are creating a safer and more pleasant home environment.
Fragrancing your home with essential oils
To make your own Floral Aromatherapy Pot Pourri mix the following ingredients together and place in decorative bowls around the house. Alternatively add to sachets and place in wardrobes and drawers to scent your clothes and keep moths at bay. Most essential oils act as insect repellents - so this method of scenting your home will also help keep flies at bay during the summer months. They are superb mood enhancers too.
- 2 heaped cups of dried Lavender flowers and leaves
- 1 heaped cup of dried Rose petals and buds
- 1 heaped cup of dried Geranium leaves
- 1 heaped cup of a dried flower mix of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Orris Root Powder (to help maintain colour and scent)
- 6 drops of Lavender essential oil
- 6 drops of Geranium essential oil
- 2 drops of Rose Absolute
- 5 drops of Lime essential oil
If you can't collect and dry flowers from your own garden then you can always buy a range of natural dried flowers online.
Aromatherapy Room Sprays
Our range of hydrolats are ideal for making your own 100% natural room sprays and air fresheners.
- Bedroom: Mix 50ml of Orange Flower Hydrolat or Rose Otto Hydrolat with 50ml water. Add 10 drops Sweet Orange essential oil, 10 drops Lavender, 2 drops Neroli and 2 drops Roman Chamomile.
- Bathroom: 50ml Lavender Hydrolat and 50ml water with 10 drops Pine essential oil, 2 drops Peppermint, 5 drops Lemon and 5 drops Lime.
- Living room: 50ml Orange Flower Hydrolat, 50ml water, 10 drops Lime essential oil, 4 drops Benzoin / Frankincense, 5 drops Geranium.
- Kitchen: 50ml Lavender Hydrolat, 50ml water, 5 drops Peppermint essential oil, 5 drops Eucalyptus, 5 drops Rosemary, 10 drops Lavender.
Aromatherapy Reed Diffusers
Reed Diffusers are all the rage, but can be packed full of synthetic fragrances and also quite expensive to buy. You can easily make your own with your favourite essential oils though. You can use a carrier oil as your base but you may find that this doesn't wick up the reeds as effectively as a solvent or alcohol-based dilutant. We sell Augeo™ Clean Multi, a soya-based solvent that is perfect for solubilising your essential oils and has a low evaporation rate to maintain the longevity of your blends. Simply add between 15-25% essential oil to the solvent base and away you go!
Making your own aromatherapy cleaning products
- Natural Bath/Shower Cleaner: 2 tablespoons of baking powder, 50ml warm water, 2 drops Eucalyptus essential oil, 5 drops Tea Tree. Mix and apply as normal with a sponge scourer.
- Natural Toilet Cleaner: 1 tablespoon baking powder, 20ml vinegar, 6 drops Tea Tree essential oil, 2 drops Eucalyptus, 6 drops Bergamot. Scrub with loo brush as usual.
- Antiseptic Kitchen Spray: 100ml boiled water cooled, 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil, 5 drops Eucalyptus, 5 drops Peppermint, 5 drops Lemon. Shake well before use.
- Heavy Duty Kitchen Surface Cleaner: 2 tablespoons baking powder, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 50ml warm water, 5 drops Tea Tree essential oil, 1 drop Eucalyptus. Wipe down as normal.
In the naturally clean home, essential oils, baking powder and vinegar are essential items! Our Liquid Castile Soap is also a wonderfully versatile product to have at hand. 100% natural, 98.79% organic and vegan-friendly, this highly concentrated liquid soap base is made from saponified coconut and sunflower oils and is ideal for adding to your natural cleaning blends if you'd like a foamier consistency. It can also be used for making your own natural toiletries.
So, we hope we've inspired you to 'clean up your home the natural way'? Happy, safe cleaning and remember, what other household products enhance your mood and health whilst you work?
Disclaimer & Safety Advice