As we welcome in another New Year I thought I’d pull together a range of topical tips, quotes and facts that can help us to achieve our goals in relation to health and happiness for 2015. I have found this list useful not just for my own personal growth and health, but also for friends, family and the clients that I see in my clinic. At the end of the day, we are all ‘work in progress’ and we never stop learning. Some of these pointers will be simple and practical, and some will be of a more emotional, philosophical or spiritual nature. Either way, I hope you find some or all of them helpful and enriching in some way or another.
1. Thought is energy. Your mind is like a magnet to iron filings. Train yourself to think positive, even when life is challenging. That way you help yourself to attract in the changes, by not focusing on more of what you don’t want, but elevating your ability to draw in the positive. Nothing is completely negative if you learn from it. Every difficulty gives you that nugget of gold if you look for it.
2. Easy access ‘super foods’ – organic where possible: avocado, brazil nuts, blueberries, goji berries, hemp seeds (almost all seeds are good), spinach (almost anything green in fact is rich in chlorophyll which builds the blood), kiwi fruit.
3. Do you often feel like a victim of your situation, or experience regular emotional distress/anxiety? Read (or preferably listen to the audio version of) Ekhart Tolles “A New Earth”. This is one of the most holistically emotional coherent books I’ve ever read. It will help empower you to make tremendous shifts in your understanding of yourself, your life and your relationships. If you want to become more aware and fill your life with clarity and perception, this is a real gift.
4. Must have remedies/supplements:
- Elagen – pure, powerful standardised Siberian Ginseng. A massive stamina, energy and immunity booster. Also an adaptogen – so helps your body adapt to stress.
- Sambucol – A great immunity boosting tonic made from concentrated elderberries – rich in anti-oxidants – especially useful for children with coughs and colds.
- BioCare Vitamin C Powder – Low acid Magnesium Ascorbate – easy to digest – easy to take – a powerful immunity booster and general body tonic.
- BioCare Probiotics – BioCare offer a great range which have a fabulous effect on digestion and immunity.
- Bio Health “Valdrian” – Valerian Root – a traditional herbal remedy which is excellent to help ease anxiety/sleeping issues.
- Bach Flower Rescue Remedy – Useful to help alleviate shock, anxiety, stress and a bemused state of mind.
- Arnica Cream/Pills which helps to ease shock/bruising.
5. Must have essential oils:
- Anxiety/Stress: Neroli, Rose, Lavender, Geranium, Melissa, Bergamot, Chamomile.
- Tension/Discomfort: Rosemary, Marjoram, Lavender, Black Pepper, Pine, Black Spruce, Plai.
- Relaxation/Sleep: Lavender, Frankincense, Chamomile, Sweet Orange, Marjoram.
- Detoxing: Fennel, Cypress, Juniper, Geranium, Lemon, Lime.
- Energy/Mental Clarity/Concentration: Peppermint, Spearmint, Rosemary, Ginger, Camphor, Eucalyptus.
- Immunity Boosters: Tea Tree, Thyme, Eucalyptus, Plai, Ginger, Lemon, Bergamot, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Myrrh.
6. Most versatile essential oils: Tea Tree and Lavender. A full first aid kit at your disposal!
7. Must have diet/weight loss/nutritional book: The Paleo Solution by Rob Wolf.
8. My favourite quote: “Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its strength” Anon.
9. Most versatile Base Formula products:
- Aloe Vera & Seaweed Gel: Can be used to make up aromatherapy treatment gels, added to facial masks, or used as daily moisturising base.
- Organic Moisturising Cream: Can be used for personalised cream bases for clients (and yourself), and made up as Christmas / birthday presents with essential oils for individual preferences.
- SLS Free Shampoo: Difficult to find SLS Free shampoos are particularly indicated for babies, children and those with sensitive skins/allergies.
- Dead Sea Salt: Highly therapeutic and relaxing– can be personalised with essential oils for clients, family and friends – again – difficult to buy unadulterated. Use in foot baths, body scrubs (fine variety) as well as aromatherapy baths.
10. Most useful natural antibiotic: Colloidal Silver by www.colloidalsilver.com – very pure and reasonably priced.
11. Most under-recognised deficiency – Iodine: Take Nascent Iodine – www.GoodHealthNaturally.com
12. Another Fabulous quote: “Some things in life are bad for you but nothing kills you faster than no fun at all”. Heard it on BBC Radio 4 the other day but I have no idea who said it!
13. SLS Free Toothpaste: Many people believe that Sodium Lauryl Sulphate – a popular foaming agent – is a carcinogen. I believe it’s best avoided, but unfortunately it’s found in most toothpastes and personal hygiene products! Aloe Dent do a range of toothpastes that are free of SLS. As we absorb a proportion of what we put in our mouths sublingually – this seems a very sensible investment to me! Don’t forget that Base Formula also sell SLS free Bath & Shower Gel and Shampoo which you can use to make your own tailored-made toiletries.
14. Mouthwashes: If you knew what chemical cocktails were contained in the average mouthwashes you would never touch them again! Yet we are bombarded by the adverts on TV. If you want to gargle try using warm salted water with 1 drop Peppermint essential oil, 2 Tea Tree and 3 Myrrh. If you want to buy an “over the counter” preparation I highly recommend the “Tooth & Gum Tonic” by the Dental Herb Company. Full of good natural ingredients and it tastes great.
15. Ralph Waldo Emmerson quote on kindness: “It is one of the most beautiful compensations of this life that no man can sincerely try to help another without helping himself”.
16. One of the most regularly quoted health issues is dehydration: Drink 1.5 litres daily – tea, coffee and coke don’t count! Dehydration can cause headaches, constipation, tiredness, digestive issues, poor concentration, skin conditions, weight issues, bad breathe, joint issues.
17. Need an exercise routine that helps you relax? Tai Chi and Qi Gong will help improve your levels of fitness and muscle tone whilst helping instil inner peace and calm – this is due to the way it activates meridian pathways.
18. Difficulty in concentrating/dry skin/hormal imbalance? You are probably deficient in essential fatty acids! Try increasing your intake of nuts (not peanuts – they are legumes), seeds, oily fish and avocado.
19. The second most common health issue? Lack of sleep! When we analyse the health of those who are constantly tired, have back/neck tension, headaches and anxiety/depression – we often find the same thing. They are not getting enough good quality sleep! If you suffer from the above and get 6 hours a night on average, try increasing it to 7-8 hours, even if it’s only 4 times a week. You might be surprised at the results. Sometimes we need a proper ‘wind down’ period before we go to bed, other times we need to invest in some ear plugs. Either way – most of us need more than 6 hours sleep a night to feel our best.
20. Top tip just for YOU! The reality is that most of us do a little too much. As the stress levels go up – so often – does the tension in our body. So make yourself a promise – book yourself some ‘time out” once a month, and get yourself an aromatherapy massage. If it’s booked in your diary in advance then you’ve made sure your health and wellbeing is a priority. It’s a treat and a treatment in one. Just the job!
I hope you have found the above information useful. Remember that we at Base Formula are here to help and are only an email away if you need any additional ‘natural health’ advice.
Wishing you all an exceptional New Year, full to brimming with health, happiness and expansive new learning curves. Here’s to 2015!